OpenEuphoria on the Raspberry Pi

oeuDuring the 90s I took almost a decade off from computers & phones. I was completely burnt out and really couldn’t face them & as i’d moved to the United States at the beginning of the decade I didn’t have most of my computers, notebooks & tools with me anyway. I did bring a Tandy Model 100 with me but not my main system or any of my Z80 based home computers and as I refused to have a phone in the apartment the Tandy was only used to play a few games & write a report or two for the times when I couldn’t avoid computer based jobs. I did take the Tandy down the street to a pay phone to check my emails every few months but that was it. Over the years any programming skills I had atrophied so that when i decided that it was time to get back into computers & programming I started looking for an easy to learn/relearn programming language. I still didn’t want a phone in the apartment so it had to be something that I could learn from it’s documentation or any non-reference books they had in my local branch library and after many hours at SIBL ftp’ing stuff from SimTel I found an interesting programming language called Euphoria that was really easy to learn but was fast enough on the hacked together 386 that i’d put together from begged, borrowed & stolen (not really) parts that i could do fun things with. For a couple of years I hacked on the interpreter & helped with making it’s binding & obsfucation abilities a bit more secure & most of of the things I programmed, including some biggish “commercial” programs & wrappers were written in Euphoria. Then I got involved with some projects and continuing to use Euphoria other than for my own personal messing about wasn’t an option & I slowly moved away from it. fast forward a decade or so & the Raspberry Pi was released and I found that Rapid Deployment Software had open sourced the Euphoria interpreter & compiler & passed it’s development over to the community so I decided to see about getting it to run on the Raspberry Pi, however, it was chockablock with x86isms so wouldn’t build & after a couple of weeks I shelved it until last year when after a discussion on the openeuphoria forums several of the developers & I were able to get a version that would build & mostly run on an ARM device although it failed most of the unittests. Over the months people have been working on the code base until towards the end of last year building for ARM was possible using the normal build procedure other than one tiny gotcha. To build openeuphoria you have to have a working openeuphoria setup (not quite true as you can build it via a two stage process by running the 1st stage on a system that already has openeuphoria running on it then move the process to the target device but that gets quite hairy). As I like openeuphoria & often find myself returning to it specially when I want to do a quick hack or do something quite complicated that i’m not comfortable doing in C or Python (or COBOL 😀 ) I seem to be building openeuphoria fairly regularly and as I think that along with Scratch, Python & C (AND COBOL 😀 :D) it makes a good addition to your Raspberry Pi toolkit i’ve put a tarball with the binaries up in my file dump. I would recommend that you use this only to build openeuphoria yourself but it is ok to just use if you don’t feel like building openeuphoria yourself. download the tarball, extract to your home dir & add the path to the bin directory to your path and then have at it.

the downlaod link for my openeuphoria tarball is http://www.russelldavis.org/Files/files/RaspberryPi/euphoria-4.1.0-raspbian.tar.gz and you can find more info on Euphoria/OpenEuphoria at

http://openeuphoria.org/  and some examples & libraries etc. (although a lot are for the older proprietary versions of the Euphoria interpreter at http://www.rapideuphoria.com/archive.htm

Share

1 Comment

Add a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

russelldavis.org © 2014 Frontier Theme